Linggo, Hunyo 2, 2013

To Lydia, my mom (for her 51st birthday)




Mom, on your 51st birthday, I want you to meet her. Though I know very little about her, she reminds me everything about you. Though I’ve met her some days ago, I’m so inspired that through her, I was able to reminisce the days when you took care of me. And though we seldom see each other, through her, your beauty as the gentle mother of eight remains in me.

When I met her, I remember when I asked you to buy me a set of crayons. You didn’t say yes. But you did buy. Only that it took a week before you can afford to buy one. I almost lost my patience there and have already forgotten my request. But when the time I held those crayons into my hands, I can still remember how I played with those colors – the hue I combined and the texture I applied in a complicated but jolly way. I was just so happy.

Mom, when I met her, I remember my school days then that upon waking up in the morning, my breakfast, warm water for my bath, school uniforms, shiny shimmering black shoes, my kiddy lunchbox, and a couple of coins for my snacks were all ready. By the way, there were seven of us if you can still recall – seven of us who woke up every day seeing everything prepared for school. And to add: you were also our alarm clock that kept on repeating every after we snooze upon hearing your voice. Were you a superhero?
When I met her, I remember how you still accept me even if I stole money from your pockets and wallets many times just for me to spend my day for computer games.

When I met her, I remember when I scolded you because for three straight hours, we were so hungry and exhausted of falling in line for my college enrollment. I walked out and left you there. And when I turned back, you were following me and invited me to the university canteen and together we ordered and ate cakes. I was speechless while eating the cake. I could not express then that it was the sweetest cake I ever tasted!

When I met her, I remember one of my birthdays when I did not show up at home and instead celebrated my special day with my friends. When I went home the following day, I saw your “linukay” and “pancit” served at the dining table. I couldn’t contain to imagine how you felt that day.

When I met her, I remember when I was being hardly lashed by Papa because of my stubbornness. You covered and insistently protected me from the hit. You told me to hide. And I saw your tears in the dark.
When I met her, I remember leaving you for my seminary life. I kept that dream of becoming a priest for years. I never shared it to you. And when I revealed it, you were deeply hurt. But you were with me when I took the bus – ensuring me a safe trip and a meaningful journey.

When I met her, I remember you standing at my side while wearing my habit for my first evangelical profession. I saw your tears lighted by joy.

When I met her, I saw many “you.” That’s why mom, I want you to meet her. You need to meet her. I’m not only attracted to her but I’m also falling in love with her.

Mom, consider her as my birthday gift for you. Though I’m far from you, she’s near to you. And you can actually meet her now if you wish to. I’ll be glad to hear that!

You might not believe this but her name is the same as yours – Lydia. And it’s God who sent her to me and now to you. And I want you to introduce her to our family and to our entire neighborhood. Tell them that she can be found in the Bible… in the New Testament: Acts 16:14: “A certain woman named Lydia, a worshipper of God, who was listening to us… the Lord opened her heart to listen eagerly to what was said by Paul…”

Mom, you and Lydia has something in common: a kind of heart that is willing to listen and to welcome God’s words.

Mom, happy 51st birthday!

PS: Yes… I’m taken. I’ll keep my promise, remember? Jesus Christ is my life.   
  

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento